- An accomplished General Counsel with over 17 years of professional experience in managing legal function, evaluating organizational regulation & standards, and recommending ways of improvement
- Deftly promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality by upgrading & implementing appropriate systems of policies, internal controls, legal organization standards, and procedures
- An articulate and engaging communicator with strong problem solving skills with ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues and creativity in resolving unique and challenging issues with expertise in effectively providing advice on various complex legal issues
- Expertise in finalizing terms & conditions of contracts, and performing analysis to ensure that agreements are finalized within negotiated & agreed-upon parameters
- Deftly managing legal affairs, including due diligence, contract documentation, corporate advice, dispute resolution, research, advising and liaison. Skilled in Commercial, Contract, Corporate Laws, establishing and streamlining legal and contract management processes
NORTHERN OPERATING SERVICES PRIVATE LIMITED, INDIA MARCH 2009 – OCTOBER 2017
Senior Vice President – Legal Head, India and Manila
Management Team Member
Cross Function Coordination
- Member of the Executive Management Team of India and Manila and Advisor to their respective Board of Directors; Accountable for advising on legal and general matters; Analyzing/ interpreting legal provisions and providing pertinent advice to the management to ensure compliance with legal provisions; Provide mentoring, coaching, developing leadership skills, resolving employee and other issues.
- Establishing and streamlining processes for contract lifecycle management; Instituting a pitch book of template contractual language and acceptable variations; Preparing, reviewing, maintaining and enhancing drafts of various vendor contracts, engagement letters, employee related agreements or letters and inter-company agreements for India, Manila, the Asia Pacific region, UK and USA; Drafting and reviewing long term contracts with vendors for annual value ranging from $15-30 million; Creating unique language to comply with regulatory requirements in all such documents.
- Chair of the Internal Committee, established under the POSH Act; Strategic support for incorporating a subsidiary of The Northern Trust Company at Manila, conducting due-diligence and review of documents for relationships with global Sub-Custodians; Conducting extensive legal research on provisions of law and drafting legal opinions; Developing, maintaining, and revising policies and procedures for the general operation of the organization; Analyzing the impact of the legal risks and regulatory requirements on the business; Managing the India Legal cost center whilst ensuring productivity and cost efficiency.
- Building and maintaining a collaborative relationship with business partners, legal teams, external counsels, corporate groups, compliance and risk partners in India, Manila and around the globe.
- Managing a team member by delegating work, being a participative manager, providing opportunities, coaching, encouraging learning, developing leadership skills and resolving any issues; Conducting performance evaluation and assessment; Providing and receiving feedback at regular intervals to ensure a healthy working relationship.
- Sponsoring various Organizational initiatives such as, Increasing Business Acumen, Policy Awareness and Education, Diversity and Inclusion; Playing a vital role in various regional projects, such as, setting up of Beijing office, HR projects on Family and child care, transfer pricing study and impact.
LENOVO – INDIA, INDIA JUL 2007 – JAN 2009
Senior Manager – International Legal Services Center
- Preparing legal documents and contracts, performing legal analysis; initiating and contesting litigations wherever needed and pursuing the matters through empanelled counsels to facilitate logical conclusion
- Facilitating, handling and proactively supporting a wide range of contracts, anticipating and fulfilling needs, providing creative solutions, coordinating with vendors/suppliers
- Managed day-to-day affairs of the division, including managing a team of lawyers and played a vital role in the process for transition of work to Indian lawyers from the US and Europe
- Carried out quality check, supporting and assisting with various kinds of vendor contracts for US based customers
LEXADIGM SOLUTIONS LLC, GURGAON, INDIA APR 2004 – JUN 2007
Manager – Legal, India
- Spearheaded a mid-size team of lawyers and instrumentally provided coaching and training to Associates on the usage of the research portal, on document review, on analytical skills and writing skills
- Conducted research in American law for US based attorneys and corporations, Drafting legal opinions and court ready briefs for US clients as well as conducting online 50 state surveys for US clients
- Engaged in reviewing and abstracting documents for US clients which includes, not limited to, reviewing sale-purchase contracts, lease agreements, loan agreements, option agreements, condominium agreements and summarizing the pertinent portions of the agreement
CONFEDERATION OF INDIAN INDUSTRY, NEW DELHI, INDIA AUG 2003 – MAR 2004
Consultant – Trade Policy Division
WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND SEP – NOV 2002/FEB – MAR 2003
Trainee – Trade in Services Division
BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, BOSTON, MA, USA JAN 2002- APR 2002
Research Assistant for Prof. Maureen O’Rourke, Intellectual Property
BIG SISTER ASSOCIATION OF GREATER BOSTON, BOSTON, MA, USA SEP 2001 – MAR 2002
AJAY BAHL & CO., DELHI, INDIA OCT 2000 – APR 2001
DUA ASSOCIATES, MUMBAI, INDIA MAY 2000 – OCT 2000
SWARUP & CO., DELHI, INDIA MAY 1997 – AUG 1997
- Received Honors in International and Comparative Law studies, 2001 Cornell – Paris I Summer Institute, Paris, France, Jun 2001
- Specific courses successfully completed under ‘Towards Conscious Legal Education’, Sponsored by the Ford Foundation, Pune, India, Jul 1997 – Apr 1999
o Special Corporate Law; Communication Skills; Human Rights; Practice and Procedure in Parliament; and Legal Services
- Researched and proof-read for ‘Copyright in a Global Information Economy’, by Cohen, Loren, Okediji and O’Rourke
- Researched and wrote ‘Will China or India Be the Next Great World Power’ for Johnson & Wales University Magazine, Fall 2008 issue