Suhail Nathani is the Managing Partner of ELP and heads the Capital Markets & Securities Laws, as well as the International Trade & Customs practices. He additionally co-heads heads Competition Law & Policy, Corporate & Commercial and Private Equity & Venture Capital practices of the firm. He is an alumnus of Cambridge University, England and has also received an LL.M. from Duke University, U.S. Apart from India; he is also admitted to the State Bar of New York.
Prior to co-founding ELP, he was the General Counsel (“GC”) in a start-up Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licensed telecommunications carrier in Washington DC that went public.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015
Suhail Nathani has a wide range of expertise spanning private equity, as well as M&A and international trade work. Interviewees report he is “extremely responsive” and his “knowledge is encyclopedic.”
With over 24 years of experience, Suhail has advised clients on clients on transactional and advisory aspects of private equity Investments, mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and corporate restructuring across multiple sectors. He regularly advises Indian and multi-national companies on cross-border transactions, foreign direct investments, and commercial contracts. He has advised listed as well as unlisted companies and intermediaries on various aspects relating to Indian securities laws.
Some of Suhail’s recent transactions include advising Johnson Controls with respect to its global air conditioning business joint venture with Hitachi Appliances, Inc (Japan) and Hitachi Limited (Japan). The joint venture is said to be world’s largest commercial air conditioning provider. This deal has been recognised one of the Deals of the Year by Inhouse Community’s Asian Mena Counsel in its Deals of the Year 2015 award.
This deal has also been recognised as Deals of the Year 2016 by India Business Law Journals (“IBLJ”). Suhail has been involved in advising New Vernon Private Equity Limited and Hilson Estates Limited in the sale of their entire shareholding in both Carwel Estates Limited and Faery Estates Limited respectively to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPPIB”)
RSG India Report 2015
Described as “an exceptional lawyer and adviser” who is “responsive, smart, and always has excellent junior partners and associates available to assist.” “He has a broad understanding of Indian business and the challenges faced by [foreign companies] investing in the country.” “He provides excellent guidance to firms looking to ensure the safety of their investments and needing to navigate the complex regulatory and legal environment that India presents.”
and Shapoorji Pallonji Group’s joint venture company SPREP Pte. Ltd. with the acquisition of SP Infocity IT Park in Chennai, India. This deal has also been recognised as the Real Estate Deal of the Year by IBLJ in the Deal of the Year Awards 2015. Recognition & Awards:
- Top 30 International Trade practitioners in the world- Best of the Best Expert Guides 2016.
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012 to 2017 – expertise in Competition/Antitrust, Corporate M&A and International Trade
- Recommended as a Leading Lawyer – The Legal500 Asia-Pacific over the last eight years.
- Recognised for his expertise in the Who’s Who Legal 2013-2016;
- Leading Lawyer by Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2014-2016.
- Featured as a Leading Lawyer in IFLR1000 Financial & Corporate 2015-2017 and
- Featured in IBLJ’s A List as India’s Top 100 Lawyers.
- Jury Member at the BW Businessworld-PwC I-bank 2016 Awards.
- Member of the International Bar Associations (“IBA’s”) India Contact Group
- Member Host Committee for the 5th Asia Pacific Regional Forum Biennial Conference, Mumbai for the IBA Asia Pacific Regional Forum.
- Honorary Adjunct Professor at the Jindal Global Law School in India.
- Independent director on three listed companies in India which include a scheduled bank.
- Board member of a privately held “strategically important” Non-Bank Financial Company (“NBFC”).