Heading own Consultancy and Law Firm ‘Amicus Rarus’ providing consultancy and litigation services in GST, Customs, Excise, Service Tax , Safeguard duty, I.P.R. and EXIM, SEZ and Money Laundering matters. Special Counsel, Government of India, C. B. E. C. & Prasar Bharati and Airport Authority of India, also provided Services to NGOs like M/s Micro Nutrients Initiative, Chetna etc. Member of Executive Committee of CEGAT Bar Association. Tax Reform Author having more than 300 Published Articles (including 30 on GST). Presenting and Authoring on Budget for Last 20 Years including on Electronic and Print Media. Attending Seminars for dissemination of knowledge on various tax matter in collaboration with CII, FICCI etc., Technical Advisor to GST Law Times.
Indian Revenue Service (Customs & Central Excise) – 1986 Batch in the Designation of Commissioner (Customs & Excise)
Currently working as Advocate for Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax matters at various forums under the name of own firm Amicus Rarus. Also working as Senior Special Counsel for Customs & Excise Department, Govt. of India as well as for Prasar Bharati and as Free lance Journalist and Author on tax matters.
April, 2008 to Feb.2009- Worked as Sr. Vice President with Reliance Haryana S.E.Z. as head of Customs, Excise, Service tax and EXIM matters
From Jan. 2006 to March 2008: Worked as Addl. Director General, Central Excise Intelligence as head of Bangalore Zonal Unit.
Jan. 2005 to Jan. 2006 Worked as Additional Commissioner, Central Excise, Thane-II.
Nov. 2003 to Jan.2005 Worked on deputation as Additional Central Provident Fund Commissioner, in Employees Provident Fund Organisation, under Ministry of Labour.
Feb. 2002 to Oct. 2003 Worked as Joint / Additional Commissioner of Customs & Central Excise in Goa.
Oct. 2001 to Feb.2002 Worked as Joint Commissioner (Advance Ruling Authority), Customs & Excise.
1997 to 2001 Worked as Executive Director, Wool & Woollens Export Promotion Council (Ministry of Textiles) at New Delhi.
1996-1997 Worked as Senior Technical Officer in Economic Intelligence Bureau,( Ministry of Finance) New Delhi. Detected one of the largest FERA case in overseas investigations in Tax-heavens.
1995-1996 Assistant Commissioner, NOIDA Export Processing Zone.( Ministry of Commerce) Also assisted in making various policy changes in E.O.U. related notifications.
1993-1995 Departmental Representative in CUSTOMS, EXCISE & GOLD APPELLATE TRIBUNAL. Presented cases of Customs and Excise relating to Valuation, and Classification.
1991-1993 Assistant Commissioner (Preventive) at Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi.
1988-1991 Assistant Commissioner of Customs (Anti-smuggling) at Amritsar.
1987-1988 Joined Indian Customs & Excise Service Gr. A. Received training in Custom, Excise, FERA and NDPS laws.
1983-1987 Probationary Officer in Punjab National Bank. Gained working knowledge in banking laws, loans & advances, foreign exchange dealings in banks.
Presentation / Participation in International Conferences etc.:
- Participated in Asia-Pacific conference on Textile and Clothing in Delhi in 1999 to delegates from various countries.
- Member of visiting trade delegation to Australia & New Zealand on Wool in March-April, 2000.
- Member of Indo-Australian Joint Business Group on Natural Fibers and headed a Sub-Committee on supply chain management for wool exporters/Importers of India & Australia.
- Participated in Geneva festival in Aug. 1997 as member of a cultural team of Govt. of India in the capacity of an astrologer.
- Member of W.T.O. laws panel of Federation of Indian Exporters Organisation (F.I.E.O.).
- Member of the Executive Committee of the CEGAT Bar Association since 2012.
- Received training in Narcotics Enforcement Laws, laws relating to forfeiture of property and money laundering by drug traffickers with U.S. and British Customs as also from Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Attended course for trainers for identification and detection of Ozone depleting substances.
- Provided training on prevention of smuggling to officers in National Academy of Customs, Excise & Narcotics (NACEN), Border Security Force and other economic intelligence agencies as guest faculty.
- Provided training to officers on W.T.O. laws especially TRIPS in NACEN and made presentations in seminars on W.T.O. laws organised by Institute of Small-Scale Industries, Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts as also by Wool and Woollens Export Promotion Council. Also delivered lectures at Goa Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Bombay Chambers of Commerce, Indian Merchants Chamber, Amity Business School, Indian Ports Management Institute and Indian Law Institute.
- Authored more than 30 Articles on GST which were published in Tax Journals like Excise Law Times, Service Tax Review, GST Law Times, Financial Express and Revenue Transparency Times. Presently authoring a Book on GST Law.
- Co-authored book titled “W.T.O. Regime- An Analysis”.
- Published various articles on W.T.O. laws in “Woolnews”
- Published articles for on-line magazine “Taxindiaonline.com”, `Revenue Transparency Times’.
- Poetry published in various magazines.
- Authored guide on SEZ laws and procedures published in September 2009. (Centex publications.)