Randolph is a Director in our Dispute Resolution Department, and heads the dispute resolution practices of the Greater China, India and International Trade Desk and Private Client Services Group.
He is keenly involved in arbitration and international disputes. Randolph has been recognised by Chambers Global 2017 as a leading practitioner in the area of dispute resolution in Singapore and China for the past six years, in addition to being endorsed by Best Lawyers International 2017 for arbitration and mediation in Singapore.
Randolph has been praised by legal publications and clients for being “especially experienced in China-related arbitrations, having advised numerous Chinese clients on high-stakes disputes, and acted as counsel in arbitrations held under CIETAC rules”; and as a “Leader of a ‘very accessible and efficient’ team, who is ’well versed in international arbitration, willing to listen and extremely business-oriented’.” (Chambers and Partners)
Randolph joined Drew & Napier in 1990 after graduating with academic prizes and topping the final examination and public international law course at the National University of Singapore.
Randolph has handled numerous matters. Here are just a few:
- Striking out of a claim for failing to disclose a reasonable cause of action in Harwindar Singh s/o Geja Singh v Michael Wong Lok Yung  4 SLR 69
- A shareholder dispute with variegated Company Law issues in Naseer Akhtar v Suresh Agarwal  5 SLR 1032
- A long civil litigation spanning five years relating to a construction company involving substantial claims of an aggregate of approximately $60 million between the parties as well as satellite litigation. Three reported decisions arose from this brief in Lim Leong Huat v Chip Hup Hup Kee Construction Pte Ltd (No 1)  2 SLR 786; Lim Leong Huat v Chip Hup Hup Kee Construction Pte Ltd (No 2)  2 SLR(R) 318 and Lim Leong Huat v Chip Hup Hup Kee Construction Pte Ltd (No 3)  1 SLR 657.
- Acting as Counsel in CIETAC, UNCITRAL, ICC, SIAC, DIAC and other arbitrations in Singapore and abroad, in India and China.
- Advised on arbitration and court actions for a mainland Chinese distributor and a South Korean franchisor, including an action in the Shenzhen Intermediate Court, successfully securing an extension of the franchise agreement.
- Disputes between Indian investors in a Singapore-incorporated company having natural resource interests in Central Asia and Africa worth over US$25 million. Involved a High Court action in Singapore and arbitration in India.
- Advised a Singaporean investor in arbitration proceedings at the Shanghai Arbitration Commission involving an abortive hotel investment project and related proceedings in the Shanghai Intermediate and High Courts and Singapore High Court.
- Acted in a complex, multi-jurisdictional family asset dispute with claims to assets worth US$12 billion, involving a discharge of injunctive relief and asset-freezing orders in conjunction with civil proceedings abroad in Russia, Switzerland and the United States and related proceedings.
- An arbitration involving a US$175 million dollar power 200MW plant project between North American and Singaporean interests.
- An arbitration between a power generation company and an Indian State power corporation relating to a proposed 220 MW-capacity land based coal fired power plant.
- Acted for Chinese investors in litigation arising from investment agreements over a purchase of shares in a listed company in Singapore.
- Acted as counsel in a CIETAC arbitration concerning disputes under a franchise distribution agreement.
- Acted in a series of arbitrations involving Indonesian and American interests with respect to defective industrial machinery delivered to a plant in Indonesia.
- A range of notable private client cases involving complex questions of law including forum non conveniens, lodgment of caveats, divisibility of gifts & inheritances, relocation from Singapore, enforcement of a separation deed and divisibility of inter-spousal gifts.
Chambers Global 2017
China: Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms): Expert based abroad
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration: Domestic Firms – Foreign Expert (China)
Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Singapore) – Recognised practitioner
“Leader of a ‘very accessible and efficient’ team, who is ’well versed in international arbitration, willing to listen and extremely business-oriented’.”
“Randolph Khoo of Drew & Napier LLC in Singapore heads the firm’s Greater China dispute resolution team and regularly represents Chinese clients in disputes administered under CIETAC and other institutional rules. He attracts particular praise for his depth of research and mastery of complex documentation.”
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
International Arbitration 2015 – 2017– Recommended lawyer – “[Randolph Khoo] argues the case very effectively”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Arbitration and Mediation 2017– Endorsed individual for 5 consecutive years; International Arbitration 2017- Endorsed individual for 2 consecutive years