Radhikesh is an international joint venture and acquisition attorney based in Pune, India. In a career spanning 14 years, he has worked across industry segments like industrial capital machinery, medical devices, automotive and advanced manufacturing and ITES. He has worked as a Trade and Investment Advisor for the Australian Federal Government in India for over 5 years. He has significant litigation experience and has argued cases as an Attorney before several Courts in India including the Honourable High Court of Maharashtra and Goa at Mumbai. He was also the India Strategy Advisor for Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, one of UK’s largest law firms. He currently heads InterLegal, a multi-disciplinary law firm in Pune, India.
Throughout his career, Radhikesh has helped businesses formulate their business strategy and oversee execution, in particular for their strategic expansion plans into emerging markets. He is a qualified practitioner of law and thus is able to navigate regulatory and statutory processes throughout the lifecycle of a business with ease. He has worked both as an in house legal advisor, Director – Legal as well as an external counsel for several businesses ranging from small family owned businesses to large multinational corporations operating in India.
Radhikesh works as Strategic Counsel for Boards, Chief Executives and senior management of significant private and public companies to provide strategic guidance and advocacy in the areas of litigation, governance, problem solving, corporate advisory work, restructuring, capital raisings, private equity negotiations, management buy outs and the management and selection of legal resources. The role involves working as a “strategic trusted advisor” and draws upon his legal and commercial experience in managing complex issues, client relationships and professional advisors.
Radhikesh is able to bring to the table, a blend of expertise arising from a deep understanding of domestic laws combined with extensive international experience. Drawing on this unique skill set, he is able to advise clients on alliance strategies, tax and corporate structures, investment documentation, compliances, IP licensing and strategy, franchising and exits, including acquisitions and third party sales.
He currently works with The PAC Group, a multinational engineering consulting Services Company as a strategy advisor. Radhikesh also heads InterLegal Asia, a full service law firm in Pune offering legal advisory services in civil, commercial and criminal law suits.
His focus on cross-border legal and regulatory issues has given him an understanding of the various issues that arise when a company wishes to enter into a JV with a foreign partner, ranging from the conflicts between the corporate law requirements, the double taxation issues that arise in connection with the returns that international investors get on their investments and other complex issues. On the other side of the table, his work with an extensive network of C – Level executives in Indian business houses allows him to advise foreign companies on their South Asia strategy.
Through his career, Radhikesh has had the opportunity to study several sectors such as Automotive, Advanced Manufacturing, Aerospace / Defense Pharma and life sciences among others. He integrates this knowledge with his expertise in providing strategic legal, regulatory and tax advice.
Radhikesh is able to navigate identified JV / Tech Transfer projects at all stages – leading from planning to the initiation and culminating in the execution of the deal.
These stages include:
- Scouting for unique and commercially viable JV opportunities for Indian or foreign companies
- Creating and implementing innovative and effective structures for JVs including the use of intermediary jurisdictions
- Incorporation of the appropriate JV entity including all corporate compliances involved therein
- Conducting a legal and corporate due diligence exercise on any existing entities including proposed partners or investee companies
- Drafting the investment documentation including joint venture agreements, shareholders’ and share subscription/purchase agreements
- Assisting in counterparty negotiations or providing advice for negotiations as preferred
- Providing advise relating to licensing or assigning intellectual property to the JV company, including appropriate documentation and tax structures for the extraction of IP income
- Advising the client on human resource laws including assistance in drafting appropriate employment documentation and ensuring compliance; and
- Advising on exits including by way of sales, buyouts and acquisitions, including post – acquisition cooperation arrangements.