Graduated in 1988 from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) Degree, joined the firm Prakash, Gurbani & Chong and continued practice with Gurbani & Co as Advocate & Solicitor since 1989. Became a Partner of the firm in 1993 and subsequently became the Managing Director of Gurbani & Co LLC as up to the present.
Engaged primarily as Counsel in civil litigation and arbitration, involving shipping, air carriage, freight forwarding, insurance (marine and non-marine), commercial contractual and tortious disputes, conducting investigations and reporting on marine casualties such as fires, collisions, shipboard accidents and piracy claims.
Acted as arbitrator in various commercial and shipping arbitration disputes.
Presented several conference papers and talks for various organizations and public forums in the following areas:
- Construing exclusion/limitation of liability clauses in the context of carriage contracts and shipowners’ obligations to furnish a seaworthy vessel.
- Understanding the concept of Voyage Charterparties
- Personal injury claims and litigation in the Maritime Industry.
- Time prescription for commencing legal proceedings in air/sea/land transport cargo claims (Hague/Hague Visby/Hamburg Rules, Warsaw convention/Freight Forwarder’s standard terms) charterparty disputes, ship collisions, personal injury claims, general contracts and tort.
- Implications of the High Court and Singapore Court of Appeal case of “ASIA STAR” on the future of carriage of goods by sea.
- Key issues arising from ship sale and purchase contracts and shipbuilding contracts.
- Remoteness of Damages generally and particulary for cargo damage. 5th October 2017 – Asian Legal Business Indonesia 2017 In-House Legal Conference – Presented a paper on “Significant Growth of Maritime Trade in Asia”
- 3rd to 5th November 2017 – BIT’s 6th Annual World Congress of Ocean 2017, Shanghai, China. Presented a paper on Marine Insurance and the Evolving Relationship between Insurers and Insured.
- 23rd to 26th November 2017 – Maritime Law Seminar and Industrial Maritime Policy Forum under “One Belt One Road”, Shanghai 2017.
- 14th to 16th March 2018 – International Pacific Bar Association (IPBA) Conference in Manila, Philippines – Presented a paper on “The Impact of Maritime Piracy On Those Affected including Insureres”.
Member, Panel of Arbitrators of the Law Society Arbitration Scheme, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, Law Society of Singapore, Singapore Academy of Law, Committee Member of Maritime Law Association of Singapore.
Main areas of insurance practice include but are not limited to the following:-
- Advising on marine insurance policies’ (hull and cargo) terms and conditions of cover, including General Average and Salvage
- Advising on general insurance coverage such as
- Business Risks Policies
- Professional Indemnity Policies
- Public Liability Policies
- Forwarder’s Liability Policies
- Work Injury Compensation Policies
- Product Liability Insurance
- Property Damage
And attending to the investigation of such policy claims, claims settlement or mediation or litigation including subrogated recoveries claims.