Brief Professional Profile
A lawyer by profession with a background in economics and 14 years’ experience in the area of legal consulting, corporate law and implementation of legal processes and systems. A proven track record towards delivering high quality legal consulting solutions and enforcing processes under strict timelines of a demanding industry consistently.
My area of work includes:
- Corporate Law
- Corporate Litigation
- Commercial Laws
- Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Trademarks and Intellectual Property Rights
Manager – Legal (February 2014 onwards)
Organization – Godfrey Phillips India Limited, a K K Modi group company having extensive interests in global cigarette, tobacco, chewing and tea trade. Reporting into VP Legal of the organization.
Scope of work
EXPLORING NEW MARKETS
- Assisting with exploring new markets for foray in tea, chewing, candy, tobacco leaf and cigarette business by coordinating with local lawfirm, local business partner, execution of contracts, helping with applicable labeling requirements, health ministry approvals, food safety requirements, trademark registrations etc in CIS, GCC, AFRICA, LATIN AMERICA, USA etc.
TRADEMARKS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- Assisting with registration of Trademarks and timely renewal of existing trademark registrations and handling IPR issues in India and abroad to safeguard flagship brands of cigarettes of the company in export markets and free trade zones.
- Handling litigation to protect the intellectual property rights of the company by defending the flagship brands of the company in India as well as in foreign jurisdictions such as Nigeria, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Benelux, Mexico, Panama etc.
- Assisting with contract management and drafting and vetting of contracts for export of various products such as tobacco, tea, cigarettes, etc.
- Assisting with documentation for contract manufacturing of global brands of cigarettes by the company to ensure business continuity and to expand the business avenues available to the company.
- Execution of contracts with commission agents, coordinating for completion of KYC documentation and due diligence of documents procured.
- Ensuring timely renewal of all existing contracts to ensure business continuity and incorporating changes due to change in variables such as exchange rate, cost of raw materials etc.
LEGAL METROLOGY, PACKAGING LABELLING AND FOOD SAFETY
- Assisting the domestic business for tea, candy, cigarettes and chewing tobacco products with queries pertaining to packaging and labelling in the light of Food Safety laws, Legal Metrology Act and the rules thereunder.
Assisting with revision of packs in line with changing regulations and artwork approvals for Indian market.
Reply to notices received from Food Safety, Legal Metrology etc. for domestic business and assisting with resolution of such issues.
- Approval of print advertisements, on shop and in shop advertisements and television commercials for flag ship brand Pan Vilas
- Signing of Advertising agency and celebrities for brand endorsements and approval of artwork for the same on packs and posters.
- Reviewing and giving clearance for endorsement claims in advertisements, pack inserts and schemes that may be offered by business from time to time keeping in mind the applicable laws, rules and regulations
SETTING UP OF WHOLLY OWNED SUBSIDIARIES IN FOREIGN JURISDICTIONS
- Successfully setting up of wholly owned subsidiary in Middle East and USA for trading in cigarettes, e cigarettes, tea etc.
- Looking after the legal issues, contracts and negotiations for these entities as well.
- Also serving as Company Secretary for the US entity. Sole authorized signatory for operating the bank account of the US entity.
- Assisting the business with general business advisories from time to time.
GENERAL BUSINESS ADVISORY
- Participation in business planning meetings and review meetings to understand the needs of business and provide legal support to achieve the targets in a timely manner.
- Single point of contact for all International Business development issues pertaining to legal clearances and approvals, legal issues, disputes, etc.
- Coordinating with foreign law firms for opinion on critical issues to provide clarity to business in its business ventures in overseas markets.
ARBITRATION AND ALTERNATE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Successfully handled an international arbitration in London wherein we got a favourable order for the Company under English Law in a dispute with a potential distributor in a foreign jurisdiction.
Scope of work
Drafting and Conveyancing.
- Drafting of Share Holders Agreement and Deal-structuring specially pertaining to Real Estate Transactions between developers and landowners
- Joint Development Agreements, Agreement to Sell, Relinquishment Deed, Sale Deeds, Lease Deeds, MOUs, major pleadings, applications, Writ Petition, SLPs, Appeals, Statement of Claim/Counter Claim, Legal Notice and Reply to Legal Notice and other ancillary drafting.
- Drafting of MOU and development agreement (development of island tourist resort) in Maldives coupled with research in the relevant provisions of law prevalent in Maldives.
- Due diligence and scrutiny of title Deeds purported as security against a loan from bank.
- Research and preparation of arguments.
- Drafted Special Leave Petition (Civil).
- Drafted company appeal under the Companies Act, 1956.
- Drafted appeals before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission and before the State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, Delhi.
- Regularly drafted Complaints, Written Statements, Rejoinders, Evidence by way of Affidavit etc.
- Applications before the Supreme Court, the High Court of Delhi, the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, the State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission and various other courts and forums and appearances in these matters
- Other miscellaneous drafting works like legal notices, replies etc.
- Participated in a Seminar on Insolvency and Creditor Rights on behalf of Kesar Dass B. and Associates and the need for strengthening the Creditor Rights regime in India.
- Participated in a Seminar on Public Private Partnership and the advantages it offers in the changing economic scenario in India.
- Was one of the Judges in the 3rd MK Nambyar International Moot Court Competition, a Kesar Dass B. and Associates sponsored event.
- Was one of the judges in ARGUENDO, the Moot Court Competition of Campus Law Centre, Faculty of Law, Delhi University in 2017
- Property related Title Search: Scrutiny of documents and Compilation of Search Report.
- Registration of Conveyance Deeds, Lease Deeds, Relinquishment Deeds etc, at the office of the Sub Registrar.
- Worked on matters relating to Stamp Duty, Land Ceiling Laws and options available for transfer of land to subsidiary companies.
- Research and Opinion on other miscellaneous issues regarding government guidelines, compliances and policies for foreign investment in various sectors.