Bharath a Senior Partner at Anand and Anand, India leads the Chennai City Office practice.
His practice includes Intellectual Property litigation before Indian High Courts, opposition, cancellation, arbitration and other related proceedings before the Trademark Office, Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB), Copyright Board and Geographical Indications Office. He has been the lead counsel in numerous appeals, rectification and original proceedings before the High Courts of New Delhi, Chennai and IPAB with several reported decisions to his credentials.Over the years he has advised clients of varied sizes including start-ups, multinationals managing their large portfolios in varied field of telecommunications, footwear, luxury products, tobacco, brewing, automobile and consumer goods.
He also counsels clients on assignments, licensing, co-existence, franchise and other transactions related to intellectual property and currently oversees franchise portfolios of clients in the fields of restaurants, salons, education. He has been a speaker at and organized various Universities, national and international forums. He was Member of the group set up by CII and Tamil Nadu Technological Development & Promotion Council (TNTDPC) to work on “Study on Mapping the IP landscape in Tamil Nadu” whose report can be found at http://www.tntdpc.com/assets/download/IPR_TNTDPCReport_8May2015.pdf
He was instrumental in successfully restraining unauthorized use of the famous Tirupati Laddu, a registered GI in India apart from prosecuting GI applications towards grant for various national and international applicants in India including those for BaidagiChillies, Tequila and Scotch.
Bharath has repeatedly used mediation and conciliation as means of resolving large scale conflicts in IPR including one involving as many as 250 oppositions, 2 suits, 3 criminal proceedings and a few freehold properties.
Recognition: Bharath has been endorsed by
- BRIC: EXPERT GUIDES as IP Expert from India;
- Asia Law for Intellectual Property identifying him as one of the leading IP counsels in India every year since 2013.
- Asia IP Expert Guide 2013 recognized Bharath as a leading IP Advisor.
Memberships and Empanelment:
- International Trademark Association (INTA)Member since 2005
- Legislative and Regulation Committee Pharma 2010-2012;
- Program Co-Chair INTA India Project Team, 2012-13;
- Parallel Imports Committee (PIC) 2012 – 2014;
- Legislative and Regulation Committee, 2014-2016;
- Anti-Counterfeiting Committee 2016-17;
- India Global Advisory Council 2016-18;
- Project Team Member and Sessions Moderator, 2017 INTA India Workshop
- Member INTA India Global Advisory Council 2016-17
- Co-Chair, INTA India Global Advisory Council 2018-19
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)Member since 2011
- Vice President India Group 2016-19;
- Anti-Counterfeiting Committee for 2016-18;
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI);
- IPR Advisory Committee,Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Centre, Confederation of Indian Industries 2015-16
- IPASI: IP Association of South India, Founding member & Secretary (2011-15);
- Indo American Chamber of Commerce – IACC;
- TIE – The Indus Entrepreneurs, Charter Member;
- TANSTIA FNF Service Centre Mentor at Founder’s Institute