Lieutenant General BS Dhaliwal (Retd) PVSM, AVSM, VSM is a decorated soldier with a distinguished and chequered career, spanning 41 years, in the Corps of the Engineers of the Indian Army. The General Officer has a pleasing, charismatic personality with an uncanny ability to understand and identify pressure points and weak links in an organizational structure. He has made a difference, wherever he has served, with a remarkable aptitude for pragmatic, intuitive and logical deduction.
As they say, a soldier never retires. Immediately after his superannuation, August 2007, the General Officer was picked up as Advisor (Technical) to the Hon’ble Chief Minister, Punjab. He has being serving in this prestigious appointment for over 10 years with his meticulous sense of professional organization, he has revamped the system to bring in much greater transparency and accountability and ensured timely completion of projects with least time and cost over runs.
During a service he has been appointed Adjudicator and Arbitrator in a number of Engineering Projects and has brought them to a logical end in the shortest feasible time. The General Officer is a firm believer of the ethos of Neutrals and had succeeded in this approach while he was the Engineer-in-Chief of the Indian Armed Forces and brought down the Arbitration Cases to nearly nil during his tenure.
- ‘Planning for Rehabilitation of a Disused Airfield’, Indian Roads Congress.
- ‘Rain Water Harvesting in India’, Institution of Engineers, Delhi Chapter.
- ‘Risk Analysis and Contingency allocation model for Risk Management of Mega Construction Projects and Highway Projects’, Institution of Engineers.
- ‘Continuing Professional Development: Updation of Core Competency’, Engineering Council of India.
- ‘Coping Mechanism and Technologies in context of Earthquake Vulnerability for Risk Reduction in Buildings’, Institution of Engineers.
- ‘Integrated Development of Towns as New Growth Centres of Indian Economy’, Indian Building Congress.
- ‘Professional Engineers-Code of Ethics’, Engineering Council of India
- ‘Safety in Construction’, Indian Building Congress.
- ‘Renewable Power sources for Sustainable Development – Wind Energy’, Institution of Engineers.
- ‘Global Warming and its effect on India’, Institution of Engineers.
- ‘Highway Infrastructure Development: Are our roads meeting their intended purpose’, Hard News.
- ‘Global Warming – An Insight’ World Environment Foundation, 8th World Congress on Corporate response to Climate Change.
SPORTS AND HOBBIES
- A keen sportsman, who has excelled in Rowing.
- Held the post of Executive Vice President of Yachting Association of India and Vice President of Rowing Federation of India.
- A qualified Deep Sea Diver.
- An avid environmentalist with specific focus on eco friendly activities, renewable sources of energy and recycling and conservation of water resources.
FOREIGN TENURES TOURS AND TRAVEL
- Had a three years tenure in Botswana from 1980 to 1983 in the capacity of an advisor to Botswana Defence Forces while being on deputation from the Indian Army.
- Widely traveled to all major countries namely USA, EU, Botswana, Kenya, UK, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Turkey, Sri-lanka, South Africa and Doha in various official capacities and privately.