Jane focuses on general corporate and contractual claims, fraud and project disputes to include pharma, energy, technology, IP claims and media disputes. Jane has particular experience of international dispute resolution and has a leading reputation for managing cross cultural aspects of joint venture and international shareholder disputes.
Jane is recommended for mediations where there are strong personalities within the parties’ groups and where there may be some cynicism towards the potential for dispute resolution through mediation. She has an engaging style and is often praised for her proactive approach.
As a full time mediator Jane actively promotes mediation and is regularly asked to speak on the subject in a number of jurisdictions. This includes promoting “in life” mediation (and she has been appointed as an “in life” mediator), which is a new trend in English dispute resolution. The use of mediation techniques earlier in the business relationship, using mediators working with parties to help them maintain their commitment to the venture as opposed to focusing on rights and obligations once things go wrong, has proved very successful. This approach supports businesses in their desire to form long term strategic relationships.
- “Able to retain confidence of the client in mediation process in extremely difficult circumstances.”
- “Approachable, can do, calm, personable, patient and thoughtful.”
- “Many mediators understand the legal issues but Jane combines this with the emotional intelligence that can be the difference between a wasted day and a successful outcome.”
- “Jane’s proactivity and people skills were key in enabling the parties to reach agreement.”
- “Strikes a good balance between empathy with the client and the harsh reality of litigation.”
- “Good on coming up with ideas, discussing tactics and quick to pick up on reality testing, questioning etc.”
- “Determined to explore every possible option rather than giving up.”
- “Highly constructive and added greatly to the process.”
- “Obviously a very good lawyer, excellent interpersonal skills, a really warm and likeable person – a great asset to the mediation community.”
- “She was excellent. She worked hard with us and built rapport well with our client. I would be happy to use her again in the future.”
- “Her ability to identify common ground and to debate and challenge ideas was excellent and she was key in achieving the settlement.” disputes until I used Jane. Jane has such enthusiasm for the process spurred on by an impressive success rate that she keeps the parties negotiating when others might give up and go home. This is what sets her apart. She doesn’t give in.”
- “Jane is not afraid to get stuck in and work with the parties towards a settlement.”
- “Jane mixes a tenacious and involved style with a warm personality that brings all the parties together. She is excellent at rapport building.”
- “I had all but given mediation up as a pointless step and additional cost in hotly contested commercial disputes until I used Jane. Jane has such enthusiasm for the process spurred on by an impressive success rate that she keeps the parties negotiating when others might give up and go home. This is what sets her apart. She doesn’t give in.”
RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
- 2016: Appointed as a Distinguished Fellow to the International Academy of Mediators
- Winner of the Corporate Livewire 2015 Legal Awards in the category Commercial Mediator of the Year – UK.
- 2014 Women in Business Law, Litigation category, published by Legal Media Group in their Experts Guide.
- Named as one of the top 100 lawyers in London and one of the top 50 women lawyers in London in the Super Lawyers UK survey, conducted by Thomson Reuters in March 2013 and published in The Daily Telegraph.
- Winner of the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards 2012 – Litigation Category for the UK
- Listed in Legal 500 and Chambers in Commercial Litigation category and as mediator.
Partner at King & Spalding from 2012 to 2017. Prior to that Jane was the co-head of the International Dispute Resolution Group at Bird & Bird which she joined in 2002. Before that, Jane spent 10 years with DLA as head of their London Disputes team and 7 years with Turner Kenneth Brown having qualified as a solicitor in 1987.
Jane was accredited by CEDR in 2001 but has been mediating as counsel since 1992.
Jane undertook the International Advanced Mediation course with MATA (Mediation and Training Alternatives) in 2007 and again in 2016 and was a member of their faculty for training mediators. A panel member of CEDR and on their faculty for training mediators. Jane also mediates through IPOS. Additionally, Jane was appointed as a Distinguished Fellow to the International Academy of Mediators in March 2016.
Jane speaks French, Spanish and Italian to varying degrees. She has three sons and this has helped enhance her negotiation skills! When Jane has any spare time she enjoys playing golf, tennis and erratic skiing.
Jane also mediates through IPOS ,ICC, LCIA and SIMI panels