Currently: practicing law, mainly in the Delhi High Court, since June 2006. Appeared as counsel in about 25 reported judgements. Have some exposure to arbitration work currently (as counsel).
Capable of mediation/ arbitration particularly in the following areas:
- In view of my experience as an IAS officer am capable of mediation/arbitration in any matter involving Governmental activities, especially contractual matters, matters involving tenders, and disputes involving any aspect of urban management and infrastructure including the power sector and public works. Apart from domain knowledge, my administrative experience also regularly involved negotiation, mediation and compromise in different kinds of issues.
- Main current area of practice: Copyright Law/ Entertainment Law. Was partner (initially consultant) in the firm of Anand and Anand heading Copyright Litigation nearly six years. Currently have both litigation and extensive advisory/transactional experience; in particular have advised clients in the music and entertainment business, including record labels, film producers, composers and authors and performing artists.
- Can handle all other aspects of copyright law including book publishing and artistic works, and also of designs, having relevant experience.
- Have the necessary experience to handle trade mark and passing-off matters and any patent matters except in regard to pharmaceuticals.
- Have unique and special knowledge of international copyright, because of Government experience, including international treaty negotiations, as described below. Have advised film organisations and a multinational media company regarding international copyright issues in regard to Indian copyright law.
Prior relevant experience: Was a member of the Indian Administrative Service for over 37 years, from July 1966 to February 2004.
During the course of my career I had exposure to most areas of administration for example:
- Public works and infrastructure; urban planning and management; and extensively in the power sector, in Delhi and Chandigarh;
- Municipal administration (in Delhi);
- Was India’s sole representative on copyright during the WTO negotiations that resulted in the Trade-Related Intellectual Property Rights Agreement (TRIPS).
- State Excise and Sales Tax (in Delhi).
- In the then Department of Personnel (Government of India);
- School Administration (in Government of India).
- Wide experience in different parts of the country, including Delhi, Chandigarh, Goa, Daman, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Andaman Islands, Lakshadweep.
Judicial and quasi-judicial experience:
- 1997-99: (in Chandigarh) Appellate Authority under the Capital of Punjab (Development and Regulation) Act, 1952.
- 1993-95: (In Delhi) Appellate Authority under the then Land Ceiling Act.
- 1981-83: (In Goa) Appellate Authority under the then Motor Vehicles Act, 1939.
- 1970-73: (In Goa and Daman) as District Magistrate had summary powers of trial under the Essential Commodities Act.
- 1968-1970: Sub-Divisional Magistrate, North Goa and concurrently Rent Controller, North Goa.
- 1967-1968: Magistrate trying IPC/Special Act criminal cases under the then Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898.
Have experience of legislative drafting, including the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 1994; Delhi Jal Board Act; Delhi Power Reforms Act; statutory rules at different times.