Ms. Pahwa has over 14 years of experience with specialization in Contracts and Transactions and commercial arbitrations. Ms. Pahwa is the Joint Managing Partner & Senior Partner of the firm. She joined the Firm in 2005.
Ms. Pahwa has extensive experience in commercial advisory services, including contract compliances & management, day to day management & representations for ongoing projects, advising and assisting clients regulatory issues, etc. for various sectors e.g. real estate & infrastructure projects, waterways, energy, pharmaceuticals & health care, shipping & mining, education, food and beverages, manufacturing, employment & labor, banking & project finance, tender & bid documents.
Ms. Pahwa has wide experience with representing the clients before various regulatory bodies, arbitral tribunals, etc.
Ms. Pahwa has broad experience in domestic and international arbitrations, including ad-hoc and institutional arbitrations. She has successfully represented clients in domestic as well as international arbitrations before the London Court of International Arbitration, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, etc.
Ms. Pahwa has been instrumental in winning the various valuable honors and awards for Singh & Associates. Also, Ms. Pahwa has been awarded a Certificate of Appreciation from World Bank for contribution in its publication, i.e. Doing Business in 2010: Reforming through Difficult Times.
Ms. Pahwa’s clients appreciate her for her efficiency and knowledge relating to client’s issues.
Ms. Pahwa has successfully negotiated and closed many domestic and multi-jurisdictional transactions and projects for our clients such as Jindal ITF Ltd. Jindal SAW Ltd., Novartis India Ltd., Alcon Laboratories (India) Pvt. Ltd., Dunar Foods Ltd., Themis Medicare Ltd., Vikram Solar Ltd. Henry Ford Health Systems, Pactera Systems (Hong Kong) Ltd. Yingke Law Firm, Era Infra Engineering Limited, Adel Landmarks Ltd. etc.
Ms. Pahwa actively shares her time and expertise, while working Pro bono, on matters / projects of Advocates for International Development (A4ID).
Ms. Pahwa heads the firm’s Gurugram office.
A Few Recent/Notable Matters
- At present, the Firm is contesting a large arbitration case for India’s waterways transportation company against NTPC, arguments have been heard and Award has been reserved. During the arbitration, we were able to secure in favour of our Client two interim orders for payment of not one but two Minimum Guaranteed Quantity Amounts, for two respective years. We successfully represented Client in Section 17 Applications filed before the Hon’ble Tribunal for directing NTPC to make payment of INR 158.50 Cr. and INR 197.81 Cr., being the MGQ Amount to our Client and also for staying of invocation of Client’s Bank Guarantee and unlawful termination by NTPC. The said interim orders have been upheld by the Hon’ble High Court of Delhi and the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India (the Firm also successfully represented the client in the said appeals). Our Client received the payment for the said MGQ amounts, against submission of BGs, the termination was stayed and Bank guarantee invocation was also stayed. The total arbitration claim in the matter is INR 2021 Crore.
- The Firm is assisting one of the leading multinational pharmaceutical companies in its on-going dispute with a competitor relating to an investigation into parenteral use of excipients (inactive pharmaceutical ingredient).
- Successfully represented our Client Jindal ITF Ltd. for various issues arising out of the Coal Transportation Agreements entered into with (Adani Enterprises Limited) for unloading the coal from mid-sea Transfer Point and thereafter hauling it into barges and transporting the same to NTPC Ltd.’s Farakka Thermal Power Plant through inland waterways. The matter was settled between the parties immediately after cross examination.
- Successfully defended its client (two admiralty suits filed before the Bombay High Court) in releasing of a panamax size vessel (capacity 70,000 Metric Ton) of the Client which got arrested at the instance of one of the service providers of our Client. The firm also assisted its client in amicable settlement of disputes between the parties.
- At present, the Firm is contesting a large arbitration case for India’s waterways transportation company against Kolkata Port Trust (one of the major ports in India). In the said arbitration, the Firm has successfully represented its Client in Section 17 Application filed before the Hon’ble Tribunal for restraining Kolkata Port Trust from invocation of bank guarantee furnished by the Client during the term of the Agreement. The Arbitral Tribunal was pleased to restrain Kolkata Port Trust from invocation of bank guarantee. The matter is at cross examination stage.
- The Firm is assisting one of the leading multinational pharmaceutical companies against the show clause notices issued by the State Drugs Authorities for cancellation of manufacturing license. The Firm has successfully represented its client and the Court was pleased to direct the State Drug Authorities not to take any coercive step against our Client.
- Assisted its client (waterways Transportation Company) in reviewing and vetting a license agreement for creation of Transloading Infrastructure in mid sea for transshipment of dry bulk cargo (coal) from Ocean Going Vessel to Transhipper and/or directly onto the daughter vessels and transportation of coal from mid sea to Haldia Dock Complex.
- Firm is representing JITF in 3 disputes that have arisen out of Concession Agreement in the pioneer projects initiated by the Department of Local Government, Government of Punjab for the collection, transportation, disposal of Municipal solid Waste as well as for processing the said waste and conversion of the same into energy. The said matters involves the consequences and effects of non-fulfilment of conditions precedent by the Authority and the resultant losses and damages incurred by the company.
Contribution in the publication by World Bank i.e. Doing Business in 2010: Reforming through Difficult Times