With over 30 years at the Bar, I have considerable experience acting for, and advising, clients globally,in complex cross-border maritime commercial, building and construction, professional negligence andinsurance-related disputes.
Complementing mypractice, I have a strong interest in alternative dispute resolution, and in particular, international commercial arbitration. With chambers in Sydney and London andpossessing specialised knowledge and expertise in commercial, maritime and building and construction disputes, I have appeared in local and overseas jurisdictions, including Sydney, Hong Kong, London, Dubai and Frankfurt, with respect to commercial arbitrations and mediations as counsel, arbitrator and mediator, affordingme a true global perspective.
I have provided complex advice to multi-national insurers as well as insureds, and have appeared in mediations, arbitrations and Court in matters regarding coverage, construction of policies, liability and subrogation. The broad range of classes of insurance in which I have acted encompasses construction (including professional negligence of engineers, architects and quantity surveyors), maritime (including cargo), infrastructure (including energy), product liability and trade credit risk.
I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a graded arbitrator with the Institute of Arbitrators & Mediators, Australia, a BarADR approved arbitrator by the NSW Bar Association and a Fellow of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA). I am also an accredited mediator under the Australian National Mediator Accreditation Standards andacourt-appointed mediator by the Supreme and District Courts of New South Wales.
In 2015 I was awarded the Australian Arbitration Barrister of the Year in the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards and in 2018 was selected by my peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Australia for his work in Product Liability Litigation.
APPOINTMENTS AND ADMISSIONS
- Admitted to the Bar of England and Wales – 2015
- Appointed Senior Counsel (and entitled to practise in all Australian jurisdictions) – 2003
- Admitted to the Bar of New South Wales – 1982
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Cross Cultural Awareness and Communication in Asia – ACICA Seminar
- Shareholders Rights – Seminar conducted for New South Wales solicitors
- Practice and Procedure – Interpleader (Thomson Reuters)
- Expert Evidence – Seminar conducted for New South Wales solicitors
- Drafting Dispute Resolution Clauses – Seminar conducted for New South Wales solicitors
- Presenting Persuasive Arguments – Thomson Reuters
- Advanced Commercial Litigation – Webinar Seminar
- Establishing Reliance for Misleading and Deceptive Conduct – Webinar Seminar