An experienced corporate executive whose strengths include leading people, reforming underperforming departments, purchasing efficient re-insurance programs, establishing systems to effectively manage claims, litigation and enterprise-wide spend, and forging resolutions to U.S. and international business disputes. Skilled negotiator and influencer with an in-depth knowledge of the operational and legal aspects of corporations, especially re-insurance companies. Speaker and advocate for gender balanced leadership, and advancing women in the C-suite and onto corporate boards.
- Operational Restructuring
- Claims and Litigation Management
- Re-Insurance Placements & Contracts
- Risk Management
- Dispute Resolution
- Procurement Transformation
EXECUTIVE SISTERHOOD INC, Lynnfield, MA January 2018-Present
Co-Founder and President
A non-profit organization whose mission is to empower executives to raise qualified women into C-Suite and Board positions. Assist corporations to sustain or increase their returns on equity, sales and investment by influencing corporate leadership and boards to become more representative of the consumers buying their products and services.
CAPRIO CONSULTING & COACHING LLC, Boston, MA November 2014-Present
Founder and President
Providing insurance and reinsurance services, operational advising, alternative dispute resolution and women’s leadership coaching services. Helping companies manage risk, solve problems, improve efficiencies and resolve disputes. Party appointed, umpire and neutral party arbitrator for disputes involving both insurance and reinsurance coverage issues.
LIBERTY MUTUAL INSURANCE (LMI), Boston, MA 1989-2014 Vice President and Manager of Corporate Procurement (2012-2014) Transformed a decentralized procurement, sourcing and supplier management operation for LMI.
- Managed department of 30+ employees and operating budget between $2.5 to $3 million.
- Evaluated and selected technology tools for use with both suppliers and LMI purchasers to manage data, compliance and risk while creating efficiencies and generating savings opportunities.
- Restructured department to better support business units, adding finance, project management, and operational, lean and legal expertise.
- Achieved over 200% increase in procurement savings during first year.
Vice President and Manager of Ceded Reinsurance (2007-2012) Revolutionized unit by coordinating group-wide risk management strategies, standardizing contract wording, developing an internal reinsurance program throughout LMI, and leveraging LMI’s purchasing power. Mitigated credit risk; established risk tolerance and purchased over $1.5 billion of business unit and corporate reinsurance protection, including treaties and catastrophe bonds. Managed group-wide reinsurance standards for reinsurer selection and concentration, collateral, reinsurance contract administration, and intermediary performance.
- Managed department of 10+ to 25 employees and operating budget up to $2 million.
- Saved $100 million on reinsurance programs.
- Instituted global broker management strategies, including service agreements, commission sharing agreements and annual broker evaluations.
- Created a $500 million internal reinsurance mechanism and efficiently managed assumed portfolio.
- Negotiated over $100 million in voluntary collateral agreements with authorized reinsurers.
Senior Corporate Counsel – SBU Legal Services Group, Commercial Markets (2004-2007) Selected to pioneer new reinsurance counsel position. Strategically advised LMI departments worldwide on ceded or assumed facultative, treaty and retrocessional reinsurance matters. Handled reinsurance arbitrations, analyzed coverage issues, drafted and negotiated reinsurancerelated contracts. Advised on insolvencies and schemes of arrangement.
- Negotiated reinsurance and trust agreements providing collateralization for $2 billion in recoverables, and commutations with a value of over $300 million.
- Leveraged relationships and achieved 100% of disputed reinsurance collections valued at $4 million.
- Developed proactive strategies for collections by targeting accounts vulnerable to Schedule F penalties and identifying offset opportunities.
- Authored and implemented templates for trust agreements, intermediary agreements, managing general agent agreements, and intercompany reinsurance agreements.
Counsel, Environmental and Complex & Emerging Risks Departments (1989-2004) Managed multimillion-dollar products and non-products pollution, toxic tort, silica and asbestos disputes and bad faith claims; assessed litigation risk, priced exposure, developed and implemented appropriate case strategy. Drafted discovery, pleadings, dispositive motions, settlement agreements and appellate briefs; defended employee depositions; assisted with trials and mediations; actively negotiated favorable settlements totaling more than $400 million. Developed and implemented claims handling and underwriting training. Assisted underwriting with assessment of prospects and renewals; drafted general liability policy language.
CORPORATE SERVICE AND HONORS
Board Member: Massachusetts Insurance & Reinsurance Bar Association (2016 to present);
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (2017 to January 2018); Bottom Line, MA (2013 to July, 2016) / Chair, Strategy & Finance Committee; ARIAS-U.S. (2005 to December, 2012) / Board Chair (2011 to December, 2012)
Member: Corporate Board & Governance Committees: The Boston Club (2016 to January 2018)
Member: Advisory Board: Business Insurance Women to Watch (2015 to present):
Chair: Law Committee: ARIAS-U.S. (January 2006 to January 2012)
Chair: Mediation Committee: ARIAS-U.S. (January 2010 to December 2012)
Secretary and Vice Chair: CICLA Board of Governors (January 2003 to May 2004)
Member: Education and Intermediary Committee: AIRROC (2005 to 2007)
Member: Taskforce: 2009 Procedures: Resolution of Insurance & Reinsurance Disputes
Pro Bono Work: MWI Mediation Program (2018 to present); Mediation Program at Dedham and Woburn District Courts; Volunteer Lawyers Project at Housing Court (1998 to 2007)
Honored as a Business Insurance “Woman to Watch” in 2007 and an Intelligent Insurer “Influential Woman in Re/Insurance” in 2017