Mediator & Executive Director
“After mediating over 2400 cases since 1992, I’ve learned that a successful mediation is the product of careful preparation by the parties and the mediator combined with a commitment to address tough issues in a focused and systematic manner.”
Dispute Resolution Experience
Charles “Chuck” Doran is an experienced mediator specializing in the resolution of employment, franchise and commercial disputes. A mediator since 1992, heis a member of the CPR Dispute Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and has provided mediation and other ADR services to a variety of clients including AT&T, Bose, BMW of North America, Coca-Cola, General Motors, Oxfam America, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), and the USPS REDRESS I and REDRESS II Mediation Panels.In 1993, Chuck completed a Specialization in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution at the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School. In 1994, Chuck founded MWI, a nationally recognized dispute resolution service and training organization based in Boston, MA that provides individual and corporate clients with negotiation consulting and training, mediation and arbitration services, and mediation training. Chuck served as a member of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Dispute Resolution and was Chair of the Qualifications Subcommittee. He is a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Advisory Group and is a past president of the Association for Conflict Resolution, New England Chapter. Chuck is also a Distinguished Fellow with the International Academy of Mediators and theVice President on IAM’s Board of Governors.
- Worked with a leadership team working on a $525M project to resolve series of matters impacting the timely completion of the project;
- Successfully mediated hundreds of Title VII discrimination claims with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the United States Postal Service REDRESS I and II mediation panels since 1998;
- Worked with business principals on multiple occasions to create tailored partner dissolution agreements and succession plans.
Honors, Memberships, and Professional Activities
- Appointed to serve as a member of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Dispute Resolution and was Chair of the Qualifications Subcommittee (1999-2003);
Distinguished Fellow and Executive Committee Board Member, Board of Governors –
- The International Academy of Mediators (IAM) (2013 – Present);
- President and Director of the Association for Conflict Resolution, New England Chapter (NE-ACR) (formerly the Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution – SPIDR). Elected to serve as President and former President-Elect and Director of the six state regional chapter of ACR International (1997-2004);
- Chair, Massachusetts Budget Coalition. Led statewide collaborative effort with 15 mediation providers across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to secure over $950,000 in legislative funding for court-connected mediation services (1997-2000).
- Arbitrator with the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Fee Arbitration Board (1996 to present);
Lectures and ADR Trainings Conducted
- Mediation Trainer. Designed and served as lead trainer for over seventy-five 20 to 40 hour basic and advanced training programs, totaling over 2250 hours since 1994. Mediation training clients include Coca-Cola, Bose Corporation, MWI, Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy and the Harvard Mediation Program at Harvard Law School.
- Negotiation Instructor and Presenter. Chuck has worked nationally and internationally with top sales, procurement, and delivery professionals to diagnose and resolve negotiation challenges across multiple industries including financial/consulting, healthcare, and high tech. Served as a negotiation instructor for the internationally attended “Program of Instruction for Lawyers” Negotiation Workshop at Harvard Law School as a teaching assistant to Professor Roger Fisher on multiple occasions.