A strategic, results-oriented engineer, business and project leader and lawyer with an extensive track record spanning more than thirty-five yearsin project management, contract law and general management in both the public and private sectors. As an executive reporting to the Board or as a leader in the project team has; delivered projects in excess of £500 million to budget and programme, achieved commissioned manufacturing facilities within 18 months of planning application, relocated and established businesses internationally addressing all HR and TUPE issues, reduced project costs by $200 million, developed new ways of designing health services, realized savings on reshaping of organisations and operations by critical review and business process reengineering and saved $300 million on a ‘mega project’ through loan restructuring. Stakeholder management in regulated industries. With a fundamental belief that success lies in recognising and developing talent, has built sustainable teams in FTSE100 companies, manufacturing organisations, utilities, projects, government bodies and local authorities. Significant experience of working internationally in a multicultural setting with over ten years international exposure in North America, Europe, Middle East, Far East and Australia including the provision of business and legal advice on ventures in excess of $3 billion.Wide experience in FIDIC Dispute Avoidance/Adjudication Boards. Contract leadership for $10bn oil and gas field development programme including final investment decision and overarching contracting strategy. Chief Risk Officer and Head of Learning for £30bn major defence programme.
Construction & Contracts
Administration of a number of standard form contracts from bidding through negotiation and delivery for projects up to $800 million
Advice on the impact that contract strategy has on risk
The use of “forensic” programming to evaluate the financial and temporal effects of risk
Claims handling within construction and aerospace
Business & Procurement
Development of Strategic Services Delivery Partnerships (including TUPE)
Development of agreements for Service Level Agreements and PFIs
Development of frameworks for capital delivery programmes ($5bn/10 years)
Development of royalty-based contracts
Development of an extended enterprise risk framework
Establishment of Dispute Avoidance/Adjudication Boards under FIDIC
Case management for claims and disputes
Earlier Roles (2000 – 2006)
- Sept 05 – Jul 06, CENAMPS (Centre of Excellence for Nanotechnology, micro and photonic systems) Interim Project Director
- Jun 03 – Oct 05, National Health Estates (Arm’s length body responsible for the whole health estate) Strategic Advisor/Chief Operating Officer
- Nov 04 – May 05, Plastic Logic limited, Advisor to the Board
- Jun 03 – Oct 05, Ipswich NHS Mental Health Trust (providing services to both Suffolk and Norfolk) Project Leader
- Nov 02 – May 03, Plastic Logic Limited Management Consultant
- Jun 02 – Nov 02, Shanks Waste Management (waste and recycling including landfill) Regional Managing Director
- Nov 00 – May 02, Cambridge Display Technology (VC funded Cambridge spin-off developing light emitting polymers) Project Director
- Apr 00 – Oct 00, Lucent Technologies (global fixed/mobile telephony business) Project Manager
- Jan 00 – Mar 00, PowerGen CHP (Power plant division of electrical supply regulated utility) Interim Project Advisor
Additional and Shorter Roles (1980 – 2008)
- 2000 – 2008, Short-term leadership roles for Salt Union Limited, University of Bristol, Devon County Council, Energy Saving Trust, Ecole Hotelier de Lausanne. Also contributing to strategic direction setting for OGC (Gateway Review Leader), Stamford Vision 2015 and Professor Sir Richard Friend (Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge).
- 1990 – 1999, Range of critical management roles for TXU Europe, Kraft Jacobs Suchard, United Utilities, Degremont UK Limited, Atomic Weapons Establishment, Rolls Royce Plc, Nuclear Electric plc and short-term roles for Pratt and Whitney, Cenco, GE Aerospace, Trestle Theatre Company (lottery funded), Portasilo Limited (materials handling) and Geofabrics Limited (engineering materials).
- 1980 – 1989, Various design, project and construction management roles including work for civil engineering contractors Costain Engineering,Peter Birse and Norwest Holst, Insituform (international pipe repair business), Merz and McLellan (design engineers) and ICI (pharmaceuticals).