Over three decades of core banking experience with State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest commercial bank, with deep expertise in Business Strategy, Institutional lending, Corporate & Project Finance, Credit Risk, Retail Banking, and HR & Talent management across different markets (India and US)
KEY POSITIONS HELD
Dy. Managing Director – Corporate Development Officer (CDO) Nov 2014 – Oct 2016
- Introduced the largest performance management system globally for objectively evaluating performance of ~1,70,000 employees
- Introduced state-of-the-art talent management processes and employee career paths, a first among PSBs
- Revamped postings policies at SBI, to reduce transfers by >25%, and bring in transparency & objectivity
- Undertook several initiatives to improve quality of new hires including a proposal to IBA on hiring of management graduates cadre (in progress), and re-designing selection process of Probationary officers, including website upgrade.
- Led the committee for negotiation of non-monetary issues of non-officer cadres in the banking industry level Xth Bipartite settlement from December 2014 to May 2015
- Bank’s Director on the Indian Instt. Of Banking & Finance, formed under the aegis of IBA
- Controller of the Training system consisting of 47 Training Centres all over the country and 5 Apex Trg Institutes incl. e-learning, strategic tie-ups with Harvard, NIBM, etc.
- Controller of Corporate Communications, Public Relations, CSR initiatives, Corporate Services, legal department, security & liaison.
Additional leadership positions
- Led SBI’s operations in Karnataka as Chief General Manager, Bangalore Circle 2012 – 2014
- Gen Mgr in charge of Bank’s retail operations in Hyderabad & present day Telengana 2011
- Executive Vice President and Head of SBI Capital Markets Ltd. in New Delhi 2009 – 2010
- Dy Head of Project Finance SBU for funding large Infrastructure & industrial projects 2004-2008
- Assistant Vice President of Credit Department in New York, USA 1993 – 1997
ADDITIONAL CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
- Chairman of the Whole Bank Credit Committee for sanction of large advances.
- Bank ascended to No. 1 position in business in Karnataka, despite 5 other PSBs & our Associate (SBM) headquartered in Bangalore/Manipal.
- Established a large industrial projects appraisal cell within Project Finance Special Business Unit in early 2004-08
- Established a new format high value credit appraisal cell at N Delhi under BPR for faster turnaround time in 2003
- Migrated Jaipur Branch (staff nos. 250) from manual accounting to Bank Master within 2 months of joining in 1998
ADDITIONAL ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
Attended Executive Development Programs on topics of Leadership, Credit, Infrastructure Finance and Marketing at:
- Wharton Business School, USA
- Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Illinois, USA
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow
- Others including Euromoney (Mumbai & London), Robert Morris Associates, USA; Queens College, City University of New York, USA; Columbia University and World Bank Institute
PROFESSIONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
A frequent contributor of articles to the Bank’s economic research magazine, and a regular speaker on Banking subjects in industry panel discussions and at top business schools
DETAILED HISTORY OF POSITIONS HELD
STATE BANK OF INDIA November 2014 – October 2016 (Ret.)
Deputy Managing Director and Corporate Development Officer, Mumbai
STATE BANK OF INDIA
Three decades of experience across various functions in the bank June 1979 – October 2016 (Ret.)
- Appointed as Deputy Managing Director and Circle Head from May 2014 to Nov.2014.
- Served as Chief General Manager, Bangalore Circle (Head of SBI in State of Karnataka) from September 2011 to May 2014. Took the Bank to the top position in aggregate business & per branch business in Karnataka, even ahead of State-based banks like Canara Bank, Syndicate Bank, SB of Mysore. Successfully implemented all new retail business initiatives of the Bank, including opening of State-of-the-Art SBI inTouch branches at 2 locations.
- Served as General Manager of Hyderabad Circle from January 2011 to August 2011 during which period, the focus was on exponential growth of transactions migration to Alternate Channels like Internet Banking, PoS, etc. and on cross selling SBI Life and SBI Mutual Funds products with fair success.
- Performed the role of Executive Vice President and Head of SBI Capital Markets Limited in New Delhi from August 2009 to December 2010; divestment of PSU share holdings e.g. SAIL, Coal India, EIL, etc. took place in this period & the Co. retained the top slot in loan syndications.
- Operated as General Manager of International Banking division in charge of Correspondent Relations & Exposure Limit setting for all International Banks, incl. Country Risk assessment in Mumbai from April 2008 to July 2009. Converted the deptt. into a business driven Financial Institutions Group, reorienting the way Bank looks at correspondent relations.
- Served in the capacity of Assistant Vice President of Credit Department at New York, USA from 1993 to 1997
- Deputy to the Country Head of Infrastructure Finance at Corporate Centre, Mumbai from January 2004 to March 2008 where I additionally set up the non-infra wing to take up large industrial project loans.
- Managed two stints as Head of the Credit Appraisal Cell at New Delhi Local Head Office April 1988 to April 1990 and September 2000 to December 2003 with specific focus on loans and advances; in the second stint, I converted the Cell to a Credit Processing Cell (Loan Factory) as part of a BPR initiative.
- Headed several critical branches in Jamshedpur, New Delhi and Jaipur honing my skills in customer service, product campaigns & business marketing, HR & admin, house-keeping, image building, etc.
- Served as the Administrative Secretary to the General Manager (Ops) at New Delhi Local Head Office from June 1991 to August 1993 controlling entire business & administrative operations, incl. complaints management of the Bank in NCR, Rajasthan and Western U.P. incl. Garhwal region
- Awarded the Visionary Leadership in Banking Sector award from the World Quality Congress In June 2016.