Angela Thomson Grahame QC is the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Advocates (the Scottish Bar), the second female incumbentever to hold this position in the Faculty.
She was admitted Advocate to the Scottish Bar in 1995 and took silk in Scotland in 2009. She was admitted to the Bar of England and Wales (Middle Temple) in 2019. She is a practising member of Compass Chambers in Edinburgh and retains a Door Tenancy in 3PB. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and is an Honorary Lecturer in International Arbitration in the University of Aberdeen and practices in Domestic and International Arbitration.
She undertakes a wide range of civil litigation and arbitration. Her principal areas of practicein the past have beenin cases relating to personal injury and clinical negligence, frequently in large value and complex claims. She has acquired a specialism in public inquiries,all of which have had a high profile. Her many practice areas over the years have included cases involving judicial review, civil liberties, human rights,complex harassment cases, contract and commercial cases, conveyancing disputes and charitable trusts.
Angela has been instructed in cases at all levels, including the sheriff court, Court of Session (Inner & Outer House), Court of Criminal Appeal, High Court of Justiciary, United Kingdom Supreme Court (Privy Council) and in Public Inquiries and Arbitral Tribunals (as counsel and as Arbitrator). Angela is also a serving Chair of the Police Appeals Tribunal, Scotland.
Arbitration is one of her specialist skills. She acquired Fellowship status with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb). She has been retained as counsel and appointed as an Arbitrator in international arbitrations. She has also written and lectured extensively on the subject.
She is qualifying presently as an Accredited Mediator.
Arbitrations as Counsel and as Arbitrator
- Spanishcontract dispute with declaratory and executory orders and compensation. (Second arbitration following on from previous Final Award), Counsel (2018)
- Commercial Lease Dispute (Scottish Seat) Arbitrator
- Commercial Contract Dispute (English seat) Arbitrator
Areas of Special Interest
- Professional & Clinical Negligence
- Personal Injury Claims
- Civil fraud
- Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Property
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Conflicts of Law and International Private Law
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Oil Pollution Compensation Claims
Publications, Presentations and Papers Lectures and Presentations
- The Arbitration Model, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) (Scottish Branch) Conference: Edinburgh, (December 2018)
- The Recognition & Enforcement of Awards, Aberdeen University International Arbitration Summer School,(June 2018)
- The Use of Personal Injury Arbitration in Catastrophic Claims, Digby Brown, Solicitors Glasgow, (January 2018)
- Developing Areas in Arbitration, ICC UK Annual Conference ICC UK Annual Conference, (Herbert Smith, London), (December 2017)
- New Areas for Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) (Scottish Branch) Annual Conference: Edinburgh, (October 2017)
- The New Personal Injury Arbitration Scheme,Inaugural Conference Faculty of Advocates Dispute Resolution Service,Edinburgh, (September 2017)
- Online Dispute Resolution in Arbitrations at Robert Gordon’s University (RGU) Aberdeen, CIArb (April 2017)
- Personal Injury Arbitration: MBL Conference on PI Arbitration (March 2017)
- Personal Injury and Arbitration: Compass Chambers Annual Conference (2016)
- Personal Injury Arbitrationpresentation to Solicitors Edinburgh, (November 2016)
- Chair: Lecture to the Faculty of Advocates, Gillian Carmichael Lemaire, Solicitor & International Arbitrator, Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh, (September 2017)
- Chair: “The Rise of International Arbitration & Impact on Scotland”, Rashda Rana SC, Barrister & International Arbitrator & co-founder & President of Arbitral Women: Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh, (June 2017)
- Chair: International Arbitration & the Faculty of Advocates Dr David Brynmor Thomas, QC& International Arbitrator, Edinburgh, (May 2017)
- Parratt, D.R., & Grahame, A., Chapter Contribution: ‘Scotland’: (eds: Mistelis, Shore, Ribeiro), World Arbitration Reporter, 2nd ed., (Juris Publishing, 2018)
- Grahame, A., Recognition & Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in the United Kingdom, The Journal of Enforcement of Arbitration Awards, (2018), Vol. 1, No: 1, page 41.
- Grahame, A., Chapter Contribution: ‘Women Pioneers in Dispute Resolution’, 2nd Edition, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (2018).
- Grahame, A., & Parratt, D.R., The Recognition and Enforcement of International Arbitral Awards: Is there a “Pro-Enforcement Bias” in the English Courts? The Journal of Enforcement of Arbitration Awards, (2019), Vol. 2 (forthcoming)
- Grahame, A., Multi-Tiered Dispute Resolution Clauses Requiring Mediation or “Friendly Discussions” – What Does That Mean? (2019) (forthcoming)