Toru Arai is ‘Advisor on Infrastructure & Transport’ to the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development,Republic of Kenya. He has been in the position since July 2017.Before assuming the current position, he was the Director Generalof the South Asia Department of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and had been leading JICA’s operations in the South Asia region. He was also the Director General of the Credit Risk Analysis and Environmental Review Department. He had held various positions throughout his carrier including an Advisor to the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) of Vietnam engaged in aid effectiveness and aid coordination as well as a cofinancing officer of the World Bank engaged in donor relations and resource mobilization for the Bank. Born in Tokyo, Japan, He hold a Master of International Public Policy from SAIS in Washington, D.C., and Postgraduate Diplomas in International Commercial Arbitration andInternational Mediation from Queen Mary University of London.
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb).
- International Development
- Capacity Building
- Public Policy
Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development, Republic of Kenya
Advisor on Infrastructure & Transport
July 2017 – Present
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
9 years 5 months
Director General, South Asia Department
July 2013 – March 2017 (3 years 9 months)
Countries in charge: India, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Afghanistan, Pakistan,Sri Lanka, Moldives
- Director General, Credit Risk Analysis and Environmental Review Department, October 2011 – June 2013 (1 year 9 months), Guiding and supervising sovereign risk management in order to assess the default risk of new and existing loans,
- Managing safeguard policies through proper application of JICA’s Guidelines for Environmental and Social Consideration in order to ensure the environmental and social soundness and sustainability of projects.
Executive Advisor to the Director General, Budget and Accounting Department
July 2010 – September 2011 (1 year 3 months)
- Supervised the efficient allocation of budget and resources in cooperation with internal and external auditors.
- Engaged in internal control over financial reporting and accounting of JICA.
Senior Aid Effectiveness Advisor to the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) of Vietnam
November 2007 – June 2010 (2 years 8 months)
- Engaged in improving procurement related regulations in Vietnam in cooperation with other donors such as ADB and the World Bank.
- Made a presentation on procurement and contract management related disputes in Vietnam at the Dispute Board Federation (DBF) Winter Symposium 2009.
- Engaged in enhancing aid effectiveness in Vietnam, working with MPI,various ministries, aid agencies and other stakeholders (National Assembly,NGOs, etc.). Played the leading role in the donor community in the area of aid effectiveness and compiled the communiqué on aid effectiveness in Vietnam.
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Deputy Director General, Development Assistance I
July 2005 – October 2007 (2 years 4 months)
- Supervised and gave overall directions (including issues regarding procurement) to JBIC ODA loan operations to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, covering various types of large scale infrastructure projects (power, transport, water, etc.)
- Organized the seminar on “Asian-tailored Technology for Integrated Disaster Risk Management” at the occasion of the ADB Annual Meeting in Kyoto in 2007. (Please refer to “JBIC Seminar for ADB Annual Meeting” as attached.)
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Chief Representative of Islamabad JBIC representative office
2001 – 2004 (4 years)
- Played a central role in formulating JBIC ODA loan assistance program to Pakistan in consultation with senior Pakistani Government officials.
- Gave an oversight on JBIC financed project management such as procurement issues, covering various sectors including roads, power and water.
- Played an active role in coordinating donors’ assistance strategy to Pakistan in consultation with both multi and bilateral donors.
The World Bank
Cofinancing Officer, Trust Funds and Cofinancing Department,Secondment from OECF
1995 – 1999 (5 years)
The mission of this division is to mobilize official funds in support of the Bank operations through systematizing cofinancing procedures and holding consultations with bilateral and multilateral partners.
- Engaged in Cofinancing Consultations with bilateral and multilateral donors,including Japan, Italy, Norway, European Development Fund and European Investment Bank.
- Prepared a draft of the OECF Strategy Paper to strengthen the Bank’s partnership with the Bank’s largest source of bilateral cofinancing.
- (This Department has been reorganized, thereafter.)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) of Japan
Officer, Loan Aid Division, Economic Cooperation Bureau, secondment from OECF
1991 – 1993 (3 years)
The Economic Cooperation Bureau of MOFA is responsible for formulating the overall ODA policy of the Japanese Government, coordinating the policies of the ministries concerned in Japan. The Loan Aid Division is specifically incharge of formulating policy regarding ODA loans, i.e., OECF loans.
- Assisted the Director of the Division in formulating Japanese ODA policy, especially advising on ODA loans.
- Formulated the first aid loan programs for East European countries such as Albania, Hungary, and Slovak Republic.
- Engaged in negotiation of debt relief measures for the poorest countries in the Paris Club.
- (This Bureau has been reorganized, thereafter.)