Mid to Moderate Fee Range (Established and Accredited)
- Sole arbitrator in ad hoc international arbitration involving $50 million in defects claims to a rubber tyre gantry shipping port. Matter involved structural and geotechnical engineering analysis of structural integrity of various pavements and the interpretation of a design and construct contract. The governing law was that of Papua New Guinea. Appointed jointly by the parties. Award delivered in December 2021.
- Sole arbitrator in ICC expedited proceedings seated in Singapore between Malaysian and Indonesian parties. The matter involved the purchase of commodities from the UAE and the application of the principle of force majeure arising out of the global coronavirus pandemic. The governing law was that of Singapore. Award delivered in June 2021.
- Sole arbitrator in ACICA expedited proceedings involving extension or time, delay and disruption, variation and liquidated damages claims arising out of a zinc-copper mining project. Matter involved consideration of electrical engineering and programming expert evidence. Awards delivered in March 2021.
- Arbitrator in USD$10 million repudiation claim involving iron ore mine and Chinese steel mill concerning an off-take agreement and letter of credit. The matter involved allegations of breach, repudiation, termination, waiver, estoppel, affirmation, and the application or consideration of Sale of Goods Act, loss of bargain damages, limitation of liability clause, exclusion of liability clause and mitigation of losses. Award dated April 2020.
- Arbitrator appointed in a dispute involving the terms of a sugar contract between approximately 250 growers and the relevant sugar mill. The value of the contract (and arbitration award) is estimated to be $300 million. The matter involved Chinese parties. Award delivered in February 2020 (within 60 days of appointment).
- Arbitrator in $10 million claim against the defence force of a Pacific Island nation in relation to a catering services contract. The governing law was that of Papua New Guinea. Three awards delivered in 2019.
- Arbitrator in dispute between government entity in its capacity as lessor and lessee regarding valuation of lease assets.
- Arbitrator in construction dispute relating to variations, extension of time and liquidated damages claims.
- Arbitrator in construction dispute between contractor and subcontractor relating to various variations, extension of time, delay, liquidated damages and defects claims.
- Arbitrator in dispute between seller and purchaser of shopping centre regarding warranties and various defective works including the drainage system.
- Sole arbitrator in restraint of trade dispute involving the sale of a cleaning and facilities management business.
- Sole arbitrator in shareholders’ dispute relating to the dissolution of a global professional services business.
- 2021 Best Lawyers – International Arbitration Lawyer of the Year: Brisbane, recommended for Construction and Infrastructure Law and recommended for Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 2021 Who’s Who Legal – Construction: Australia and New Zealand and, Construction
- Fellow of Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA)
- Member of Nominations Committee for ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) Australia (2018- 2020)
- Australian Disputes Centre (ADC)
- Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) List of Arbitrators
- Singapore International Arbitration (SIAC)
- ICDR Panel of International Arbitrators (ICDR-AAA)
- New Zealand Dispute Resolution Centre (NZDRC)
- New Zealand International Arbitration Centre (NZIAC)
- Abu Dhabi Global Market Panel of Arbitrators (ADGM)
- Shanghai Arbitration Commission Panel of Arbitrators (SHAC)
- Building Disputes Tribunal, New Zealand
- Queensland Law Society, Australia
- Resolution Institute, Australia
- Roster of International Arbitrators, Juris
- Thai Arbitration Institute List of Arbitrators
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Fellow of Resolution Institute (previously named Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia
- Member, Panel of Editorial Consultants, Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal
- General Editor, The Arbitrator and Mediator
- Member, Queensland Law Society since 1998
- Member, International Bar Association (International Construction Projects Committee)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Society of Construction Law
- Member, International Trust of Amnesty International (UK)
- Member, Dispute Review Board Federation
Australia // UK
Brisbane // London
61 438 644 002
Thirgood Dispute Resolution Pty Ltd, Level 34, Waterfront Place, 1 Eagle Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000, Australia
Arbitra International, 100 St Paul’s Churchyard, London, EC4M 8BU
- BA/LLB (Hons)
- LLM (I Hons) Commercial Law and Dispute Resolution