Dispute Boards, International Dispute Resolution and International Arbitration – Engineering and Construction
John Papworth – Dispute Board, Dispute Adjudication Board and Dispute Avoidance and Adjudication Board Chairman and Member, International Arbitrator, Adjudicator, Mediator and Conciliator – Advisor on Contracting Strategy and Procurement in Infrastructure
International Dispute Resolution and International Arbitration
Welcome to this updated and slightly revised website of Dispute Board Chairman and Member John Papworth FRICS, FCIArb, FACostE, FCInstCES, AFIChemE, a Companion of the ICE and a Chartered Arbitrator. John is a sole practitioner in international dispute resolution and International Arbitration in engineering and construction. At the bottom of this page are the quickest ways to contact John and his most recent CV to download.
Please see the new additions and revisions to the pages on Claims and Contractual Advice.
On the next page, you will find out more about John and about his part in Dispute Boards, Dispute Adjudication Boards and Dispute Avoidance and Adjudication Boards, international Arbitration and the various other forms of dispute avoidance and resolution, claims preparation and in non-contentious work and strategic consultancy.
After that, there is a page describing the types of training and CPD events he can give. This is followed by a page of news and events, which gives a summary of the most interesting and relevant events coming up. Finally, there is a page of links to many excellent international sites, including law reports.
John has a wealth of over 50 years’ experience of Dispute Boards, Dispute Adjudication Boards, international arbitration and other types of dispute resolution in various countries in East, West and Southern Africa, Asia, including India and the Middle East, the Caribbean, the Far East and Europe.
His experience covers power stations, oil and gas projects, highways, railways, process, nuclear and general civil engineering, controls and instrumentation micro-tunnelling and other underground services.
Contracting Strategy and Procurement in Infrastructure
As well as resolving disputes, John has worked at the initial stages of international construction contracts. With the current emphasis on infrastructure projects in many countries, this is particulalrly relevant. Having worked on power plants and power generation projects, highways, railways and underground services, John has the knowledge and experience to advise on contracting strategy and procurement.
Fees are always agreed in advance. They can be tailored to suit the client and the nature of the assignment. For some work, lump sums can be quoted and work carried out in agreed and managed stages. In certain cases, free initial advice may be available. For other appointments, generally a charge per unit of time applies.
Experience and Specialist Areas
- On FIDIC President’s of international Adjudicators and DB Members
- On ICE’s Lists of Adjudicators
- On Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF) (www.drb.org) President’s List of DB Members
- Registered as Senior Adjudicator by The Engineering Professions Association of Namibia
- UK Country Representative for DRBF
- On Clerksroom (www.clerksroom.com) and Dubai International Arbitration Centre lists of Arbitrators, and on database of London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- On Resolex and Mediator Directory Lists of Mediators
- Practising Dispute Board Chairman and Member, Adjudicator, Mediator and Conciliator and in Expert Determination
- Over 50 years’ experience with international contractors, sub-contractors and consultants
- Experience of contracts and disputes in UK, Mainland Europe (East and West), South, East and West Africa, Middle East, Far East, India and Caribbean, and therefore of differing jurisdictions
- Oil and gas projects, building, civil, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, controls systems, nuclear and power engineering
- Preparation of, and defence to, claims and notices for referral to adjudication, international dispute boards and international arbitration
- Drafting agreements and other documents
- Insurance Claims – professional indemnity and design liability
- Write journal articles; review books; give seminars on dispute boards and FIDIC, NEC, IChemE and ICC Contracts, contracts and claims
- Can speak working French and German; up to Intermediate Spanish