Selected Cases as a Junior
Commonwealth of Australia v State of Tasmania (the Tasmanian Dams case) (1983) 158 CLR 1, as junior to R J Ellicott QC and AM Gleeson QC for Tasmania
Counsel Assisting the Royal Commission into Drug Trafficking through the Bahamas (1983-1984) as junior to R J Ellicott QC
Moorgate Tobacco Co Ltd v Philip Morris Ltd (1984) 156 CLR 414 as junior to R S Alexander QC of the London Bar
Practice as a Silk
Since taking silk in 1988 Mr Douglas has appeared in the High Court and other intermediate appellate courts on numerous occasions. He was for a very short period a Justice of the Court of Appeal in Fiji and the Supreme Court of that country (see Qarase v Bainimarama  FJCA 9: 9 April 2009)
Recent matters in which Mr Douglas has been briefed include:
- As Senior Counsel for the applicant in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia concerning the wrongful payment of GST refund by the ATO to the applicant’s accountant in fraud on the applicant (Farah Custodians Pty Ltd v. Commissioner of Taxation).
- As Senior Counsel for an international tender hire company, in an arbitration against a major oil company off the northwest coast of Australia (2017) (concluded).
- As Senior Counsel for the claimant in an arbitration relating to the supply of offshore support vessels to an offshore oil and gas installation 
- As Senior Counsel for AEGP Australia Ltd v Armour Ltd  QCA 153 (contractual dispute as to specific performance of an agreement between two Oil and Gas companies
- As Senior Counsel in a class action for the Franchisors of Pizza Hut in a class action against Pizza Hut  FCA 43 on appeal
- As Senior Counsel for the applicant in proceedings in the Federal Court against Christies and others in relation to the sale at auction of forged artworks (McBride v Christie’s and ors  NSWSC 1729
- As Senior Counsel for the applicant in proceedings in the Federal Court arising out of the Cascade Coal scandal Addenbrooke v Duncan  FCA 793; appeal allowed  FCAFC 76
- As Arbitrator (as part of a SIAC panel) of a dispute concerning the construction of wind farms in the Philippines.
- As Senior Counsel for the appellant in Carslow Castle Pty Ltd trading as Greenhill Capital Partners v Aztec Resources Ltd  NSWCA 123 (liability to payment of a success fee)
- As Senior Counsel for the claimant in an arbitration before the Hon Ian Callinan AC concerning the value of a substantial parcel of subdivisional land in Brisbane, Queensland  – 
- As Senior Counsel for a major marine dredging company in a construction cost overrun dispute ($500 million) in relation to the development of a major offshore LNG facility in WA  — 
- As Senior Counsel for a Chinese steel mill in enforcement and appeal proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia arising out of an arbitration award by the Hon AM Gleeson AC in excess of AUD$100million (Rizhao Steel Holding Group Ltd v Mount Gibson Iron Ore & Anor  WASG 385) and in subsequent arbitration proceedings 
- As mediator of a dispute concerning the construction of an iron ore mine in Western Australia between a Chinese construction company and its Australian subcontractors 
- As mediator of a construction dispute concerning “The Ivy” Restaurant premises in Sydney 
- As mediator of a major construction dispute concerning the construction of a paper mill in NSW 
- As Senior Counsel in a series of cases in Queensland concerning a joint venture in relation to the development of a major parcel of land on the outskirts of Brisbane (Mango Boulevard Pty Ltd v Spencer  QCA 209,  QCA 271)
- As counsel for Kosciusko Thredbo Ltd in Federal Court proceedings concerning the domain name Thredbo.com.au  FCA 563 and on appeal  FCAFC 87
- As arbitrator (as part of a panel) of a dispute concerning a $200 million construction cost overrun in relation to the construction of gas pipelines for the transport of coal seam methane, Queensland  – .
- As Senior Counsel for Deutsche Bank in the M F Global Liquidation (In Re M F Global Australia Ltd (in liq)  NSWSC 994)
- As mediator of a construction dispute concerning the upgrading of the leaching circuit at Olympic Dam 
- As sole arbitrator in a dispute between a major Australian steel company and its contractors 
- As sole arbitrator of a dispute between two mining companies as to the admission of a proof of debt in a winding-up 
- As Senior Counsel for the State of New South Wales against Boral Ltd in an arbitration before The Hon A M Gleeson AC, concerning the supply of timber from the NSW State Forests 
- As Senior Counsel for a Chinese steel mill in an arbitration for the enforcement of a contract for supply of iron ore against an Australian iron ore miner 
- As Senior Counsel for the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, in an arbitration before the Hon A M Gleeson AC concerning an offshore mining project in the Bismark Sea 
- As sole arbitrator in relation to a dispute between a Japanese company and an Australian construction company concerning the warehouse premises of the Japanese company in Australia