Dr. Dinesh Kumar Goyal belonged to 1981 batch of the Indian Administrative Service. Prior to IAS, he was a Scientist for seven years in Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India.
He is Masters from London School of Economics, Masters in Physics (I) from Indian Institute of Technology, and Doctorate and Masters from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. Dr. Goyal, as Eisenhower Fellow, widely travelled the USA for interaction in conventional and non-conventional energy sectors.
He has administrative experience of 32 years as District Magistrate and Collector, and heads of various departments like Agriculture commodities procurement, Computers, Election, Employment, Energy, Finance, Investment, Industries, Labour, Mines, Plan, Public Works, Sports, Tourism, Town planning, Youth Affairs, etc.
He retired in the rank of Chief Secretary to Government of Rajasthan.
He has turned around public sector undertakings from loss making to profit making; the Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation, a public sector undertaking, was turned from a loss making corporation to profit making within two years. During his tenure in Rajfed, mustard worth Rs. 3,000 crore (then 700 million US$) was procured from farmers of Rajasthan; one of the largest procurement operations of Asia.
Dr. Goyal conceptualized and successfully implemented the ‘Solar Water Pump Program’ by integrating with water harvesting and drip irrigation. His innovation of a packaged Program combining various stand-alone government schemes created unprecedented synergies and effectively contributed towards creating livelihoods for farmers in Rajasthan. He was invited by the Michigan State University, USA; Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome; various State Governments in India and;finally, based upon his presentations to the Union Ministers Road Transport & Highways, Agriculture, Coal, Energy and MNRE, the Government of India announced a target of one lac solar pumps during the budget year 2014-15, with a financial implication of about Rs. 5,000 crore. Rajasthan’s ‘Solar Water Pump Program’, the world’s largest solar irrigation program, is now going to be implemented in 48 African countries selected out of the 121 tropical countries that have formed an ‘International Solar Alliance’, announced by the Prime Minister of India, in Paris in 2015.
Dr. Goyal was Adviser to the Solar Energy Corporation of India, a Government of India PSU. Presently he is Senior Consultant for the World Bank funded ‘Rajasthan Road Sector Modernization Project’; Independent Director in the Board of SPML Infrastructure Ltd.and in a few other Boards (DIN no. 02576453).He is known for transparency, responsiveness, accessibility, dynamism, and decision-making.
Eisenhower Fellow from India for Good Governance: Public Services, 1997. Chosen from a panel of distinguished scholars and professionals; the only fellow from Rajasthan during last 50 years. Fellowship identifies emerging leaders from around the world who could make outstanding contribution to societies; visited USA extensively with spouse, March-May 1997.
Last Occupation: Additional Chief Secretary to Government of Rajasthan Background and experience
- Technical and background knowledge and grassroots experience of public policies and projects, urban and rural development, poverty alleviation and livelihood creation.
- Advanced degree, M.Sc. in Social Policy Planning from LSE, an institution of world-repute. Knowledge successfully applied in work experience.
- Good knowledge of development issues related to gender, unorganized, and informal sector.
- Wide background knowledge and experience in establishing linkages between government, non-government, marketing, private sector, international agencies, trade unions, and other social partners through participatory approach.
- Substantial direct field experience in management of projects including direct experience of working with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in selection and preparation of TORs for consultants for projects.
- Research orientation proven by being a scientist, a Ph.D. and by several publications.
- Experience in organizing field visits, consultations, workshops, trainings.
IT savvy through education at renowned institutions (IIT Delhi, BITS Pilani, LSE) and applications during assignments; comfortable with MSWord and PowerPoint.
International exposure – USA, UK, Japan, The Netherlands, Israel, Portugal, etc.