He has more than thirty-five years working in a wide range of regulatory issues, economic competition and foreign trade. It has an extensive network of relationships with senior government officials and regulatory agencies, and is a member of the investment committee of one of the main infrastructure and energy funds in Mexico.
He was President of the Federal Competition Commission from 2004 to 2013. In 2012, he was appointed President of the International Network of Economic Competition, which brings together 130 competition agencies worldwide. Between 2001 and 2004, he was Ambassador of Mexico to the World Trade Organization, where he chaired the Council on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) and the Negotiating Group on Standards.
He was previously head of the Brussels office that led the negotiation of the FTA between Mexico and the European Union. He was Coordinator of Advisors to the Secretary of Commerce and Industrial Development, General Director of Industrial Policy and Coordinator of Advisors to the Undersecretary of Revenue in the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit.
Eduardo is also a member of the Advisory Councils of the American Antitrust Institute, of the International Conference of Fordham in New York on Legislation and Competition Policy and of Mitsui. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Colegio de México and of the Board of Directors of Grupo Paisano, a multidisciplinary group of investors and professionals dedicated to promoting the socioeconomic development of the agricultural communities of Mexico.
He obtained a degree in Economics from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México and has doctoral studies from the University of California, Los Angeles.
PARTICIPATION IN GOVERNING BODIES AND FOUNDATIONS
- Member of the group of International Advisors of the “American Antitrust Institute”, which is a non-governmental organization based in Washington.
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Fordham International Conference. This Conference is held annually in New York and is oriented towards the analysis of Competition Policy and Legislation.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Mitsui Mexico, since 2016.
- Member of the Investment Committee of two Certificates of Capital Development (CKD’s). These are instruments of financial development that, in this case, is handled by GrupoBursátilMexicano (GBM) and that serve as vehicles to finance large infrastructure and communications projects. In this case, investments have been made in water management concessions in high-development regions in the southeast of Mexico, wind generation projects, roads and urban communication routes, among others.
- Member of the Board of El Colegio de México. This is an education institution that has the highest research standards in Mexico.
- Member of the Board of Directors of GrupoPaisano. This economic group is composed of investors and professionals dedicated to promoting the socioeconomic development of the agricultural communities of Mexico. This company has the highest productive technology and certified standards to export different agricultural products to the US.
- Member of the Board of the ABC Hospital in Mexico. This is the most important private hospital in Mexico.