International business contracts often involve intellectual property (IP) rights such as patent licensing, trademarks, technical assistance, transfer of technology and/or of know how. Various types of IP disputes can arise like:
- Are royalties payable?
- What amount of royalties is due?
- Are new product developments covered by the licence?
- Under what circumstances may a licence be terminated?
- What compensation should be awarded for breach of the licence?
- When do restrictions on the use of the IP violate competition rules?
- When does an employee have the ownership of an IP right?